ArcGIS software covers a very wide range of sophisticated GIS (Geographic Information System) tools. It can be used in desktop, server and mobile environments.
CSC organizes ArcGIS software consortium for Finnish universitites and universities of applied sciences. The members of current consortium are listed at the end of this page. If interested in joining a consortium, please contact CSC servicedesk.
To the members of ArcGIS software consortium the following ArcGIS Educational Site license is available:
ArcGIS Educational Site license
- ArcGIS Desktop (Advanced, Standard, Basic) and its extensions, concurrent and single use licenses
3D Analyst, Data Interoperability, Data Reviewer, Geostatistical Analyst, Network Analyst, Production mapping, Publisher, Roads and Highways, Schematics, Spatial Analyst, Tracking Analyst, Workflow Manager.
ArcGIS Server (Advanced Enterprise, Advanced Workgroup) and its extensions: 3D Analyst, Data Interoperability, Data Reviewer, GeoEvent Processor, Geostatistical Analyst, Image, Network, Roads and Highways, Spatial Analyst, Workflow Manager.
- Special applications:
- ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry and Charting
- ArcGIS for Aviation: Charting
- Esri Defense Mapping
EDN (Esri Developer Network) software development environment
Virtual Campus courses
ArcGIS Online: 1 Level 3 Plan. Includes 12500 credits / university.
- Finnish road and street dataset by Esri Finland. It is meant for using with ArcGIS Desktop and enables routing and geocoding. This dataset is based on Digiroad, but includes several corrections and enhancements. Additional information and data download.
All software products are available for unlimited number of users.
ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Pro (Advanced, Standard, Basic)Installation:
- For installation you need installation package for the product you want to install, ask your University's ArcGIS contact person if needed.
- for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop are available in Finnish and English from Esri Finland homepage.
- Licensing options for consortium members (more details below):
- Named users, only for ArcGIS Pro and GeoPlanner.
- Concurrent licenses from CSC license server, for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop.
- Single use licenses, for ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop, only for personnel.
- Please install also necessary patches and service packs:
Named User licenses (only ArcGIS Pro and GeoPlanner)
ArcGIS Pro's primary licensing model in "named users", which is administred in home university's ArcGIS Online, ask you university's contact person for the license:
- Become a member of home university's ArcGIS Online. See guidelines below under ArcGIS Online.
- Ask for personal license from your university ArcGIS Online administrator.
-Guideline for the ArcGIS Online administrator: Guidelines for granting ArcGIS licenses in ArcGIS Online.
- Install ArcGIS Pro or GeoPlanner, after installation log in with your personal ArcGIS Online account.
ArcGIS for Desktop users normally use concurrent licenses from CSC license server, but there also ArcGIS Pro licenses available. Ask your University's ArcGIS contact person for address of the license server and the port numbers to be opened.
-Guideline for using concurrent licenses from ArcGIS Pro
- Attention! License server is available only from FUNET (Finnish Universities) network. When working outside the FUNET network, for example at home or field trip, you should first connect to your university network (VPN). Or you may borrow the license in advance or use Single Use licenses.
Borrowing concurrent licenses
ArcGIS Educational site license includes also possibility to borrow licenses for 100 days. With a borrowed license it is possible to work without Internet connection or outside FUNET network.
License is borrowed with ArcGIS Administrator, see ESRI's:
- Always borrow ArcGIS Desktop (Advanced, Standard or Basic).
- All extensions need to be borrowed separately, you are free to choose which ones you need.
- In 2018 it has been noticed in some cases that starting ArcMap with a borrowed license is slow (2-4 min), but eventually it will start. Start up is faster, if the computer does not have any Internet connection.
- Earlier there has been problems with returning of licenses, but from 2018 it could work. If returning of licenses does not work, the license is returned automatically after 100 days.
- Licenses borrowed at the end of year and during first weeks of January are also always returned on 30th of January, because annual license renewal.
Single Use licenses are available for university's personnel. These are especially suitable for people working from distance. Single Use licenses are always valid until January next year. Single Use licenses are available from University's contact persons.
ArcGIS Server, ArcPad, Esri Developer Network (EDN)
These do not use license server, they need registration code for installation, these are available from University's contact persons.
videos about using ArcGIS Online from ESRI.is a platform for making and sharing maps, applications and spatial data. This helps you search data from ArcGIS Online. Example
ArcGIS Online is available for consortium members according to Level 3 Plan - each university may have up to 100 users and use 2500 ArcGIS Online -credits per year. The use of credits is described.
For joining ArcGIS Online ask your University's ArcGIS contact person.
- Guideline for the ArcGIS Online administrator: Invite and add members
Virtual Campus includes a wide selection of Internet courses about GIS, the focus is on ESRI tools and technology. A lot of Virtual Campus courses are free, in addition consortium members have access to all courses of types Web Course or Training seminar.
For participating in a Virtual Campus course you need an ESRI Global Account, if needed you can create it yourself. For courses with a fee, you also need to be added to consortium's ArcGIS accont, ask for it from CSC (email@example.com).
Version on CSC's Servers
ArcGIS is not istalled to CSC supercomputers, because it is available only for Windows.
- ArcGIS license manager is located at CSC and checking out the licenses occurs over Internet connection. If ArcGIS is needed in a situation where Internet is not available, it is possible to borrow the license, more details above (see Borrowing licenses).
- Software acquired via ArcGIS software consortium is meant for teaching, research and administrative use. Use for commercial purposes is forbidden.
- Software may be installed to the computers of the consortium member university and computers of personnel and students and may be used at home or during field work according to the user terms.
- Each university has its own ArcGIS contact person, for students and personnel she/he is the first point of contact.
- CSC, GIS-coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The technical contact person of the consortium member university has the right to contact in technical questions.
|Aalto university||Pekka Karppinen|
|University of Helsinki||helpdesk at helsinki.fi|
|University of Jyväskylä||Juha Alioravainen, Anssi Lensu|
|Karelia AMK||Antti Lajunen|
|Lapin AMK||lisenssit at lapinamk.fi|
|Laurea AMK||servicedesk at laurea.fi|
|Kaakkois-Suomen AMK||Esa Hannus|
|Novia AMK||Johan Nordström, Leif Östman|
|Oulu AMK||Toni Sankari|
|University of Oulu||Lauri Aho|
|TUT||it-lisenssit at tut.fi|
|Tampere AMK||Mikko Mäkelä|
|Univesity of Turku||sovellukset at utu.fi, Leena Laurila|
|Åbo Akademi||Mats Lipkin|
- ArcGIS help
- GIS-analyysimenetelmät ArcGIS 10.2.1 -ohjelmistolla (Harri Antikainen, Heidi Määttä-Juntunen, Joonas Ujanen, Oulun yliopisto)