EMBOSS (European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite) package contains over 200 programs for sequence analysis. Examples of application areas of EMBOSS tools are given below.
- Sequence alignment
- Hidden Markow models
- Rapid database searching with sequence patterns
- Protein motif identification, including domain analysis
- EST analysis
- Nucleotide sequence pattern analysis, for example to identify CpG islands.
- Simple and species-specific repeat identification
- Codon usage analysis for small genomes
- Rapid identification of sequence patterns in large scale sequence sets.
- Presentation tools for publication
- RNA secondary structure prediction
Version on CSC's Servers
FGI grid: 6.4.0
Graphical EMBOSS interfaces
Many EMBOSS progams can be used via the Chipster data analysis environment. To use Chipster you need a user account at CSC.
EMBOSS in Taito
To make EMBOSS programs available in Taito super-cluster, give command:
module load biokit
The biokit module sets up a set of commonly used bioinformatics tools, including EMBOSS. Note however that there are bioinformatics tools in Taito, that have a separate setup commands.
After loading biokit, you can start any of the EMBOSS programs by typing its name. For example:
- Homepage of EMBOSS project
- EMBOSS programs sorted alphabetically
- EMBOSS programs sorted by function
- EMBASSY programs (HMMER, MEME, MSE, Phylip, sim4, TOPO, Vienna)
- EMBOSS Quick Guide
- EMBOSS Administrators Guide