FORCE installation in Taito is not properly tested by CSC, if you notice any problems. please inform email@example.com
FORCE - Framework for Operational Radiometric Correction for Envirnmental Monitoring is intended to be an all-in-one solution for the mass-processing of selected medium-resolution satellite image archives to enable large area + time series applications. Currently supported are Landsat 4/5 TM, Landsat 7 ETM+, Landsat 8 OLI and Sentinel-2 A/B MSI. The software is capable of processing Level 1 products as obtained from the space agencies to Level 2–4 products.
The main features are
- Integration of Landsat 4–8, and Sentinel-2 A/B as Virtual Constellation.
- Data management of Landsat and Sentinel-2 Level 1 data + Download of Sentinel-2 data.
- Near-realtime (NRT) processing capability.
- Generation of Analysis Ready Data (ARD). Advanced cloud and cloud shadow detection. Quality screening. Integrated atmospheric and topographic correction: one algorithm for all sensors. Adjacency effect correction. BRDF reduction. Resolution merge of Sentinel-2 bands: 20m à 10m. Data cubing: reprojection / gridding.
- Generation of highly Analysis Ready Data (hARD). Large area. Gap free. Best Available Pixel (BAP) composites. Phenology Adaptive Composites (PAC). Spectral Temporal Metrics (STM). Ideal input for your Machine Learners!
- Generation of highly Analysis Ready Data plus (hARD+). Time Series generation: spectral bands, spectral indices, Spectral Mixture Analysis (SMA). Time series folding. Time series interpolation. Time series statistics. Trend analysis. Change, Aftereffect, Trend (CAT) analysis. Land Surface Phenology (LSP).
- Detailed data mining of the Clear Sky Observation (CSO) availability.
- Data Fusion. Improving spatial resolution of coarse continuous fields: MODIS LSP à medium resolution LSP. Improving spatial resolution of lower resolution ARD using higher resolution ARD: 30m Landsat à 10m using Sentinel-2 targets
Version on CSC's Servers
Load necessary modules:
module load force gnu-parallel
Get list of available force commands:
For further instructions consult FORCE user guide.
You can also see a presentation with examples on how to use FORCE in CSC's Taito by Pekka Hurskainen from SYKE & University of Helsinki with examples on how to use FORCE in Taito (from 15.2.2019) .
For downloading files with FORCE you need ESA Scihub or FMI Finhub credentials. FMI Finhub includes 1C level data for Baltic sea drainage area, but should be faster than ESA Scihub. The credentials should be saved in your home directory, the ESA Scihub credentials to .scihub file and FMI Finhub credential to .finhub file. In the file give the username in the first row and the password in the second row.
The download scripts have been slightly modified for CSC environment. For ESA Scihub use force-level1-sentinel2_nv.sh script and for FMI Finhub force-level1-sentinel2_nv_finhub.sh. Both scripts follow the user guide syntax, see Pekka Hurskainen's presentation for example.