The NoMachine Client and server enable a fast graphical work from CSC to your local computer. This makes using GUIs fluent. The idea is to connect to nxkajaani.csc.fi with the NoMachine client (free) installed at your computer (available for Win, Mac, Linux). Then from nxkajaani.csc.fi i.e. within Kajaani connect with ssh to the server where you want do your science e.g. run Matlab or VMD. The speedup vs. X11 (native or emulated) can be many fold, so you will experience substantial improvement. Note that with NoMachine you don't need X-emulators or X-term (in Linux).
Version on CSC's Servers
nxkajaani.csc.fi: version 4 server
Versions for Workstations
- You will need a user account at CSC (on the server where you run applications). If you don't have one, you can get it from here.
- Download the latest NoMachine client (win, mac, linux) from the NoMachine site, see detailed instructions from the link below.
- Install and configure your NoMachine client. Step-by-step instructions are in the CSC General user guide The required ssh-key is available in the (Choose Downloads -> Manuals and Tutorials -> NoMachine).
- Start the NoMachine client and log on to nxkajaani.csc.fi.
- Right click in the Desktop and choose the CSC server you want to use (opens an ssh terminal).
- Start your scientific application normally.
- When you're done, disconnect or terminate the connection from the Desktop top right corner (peel menu). Please don't suspend more than one session. The number of overall sessions, including suspended ones, is limited.