CSC supports researchers and academic institutions by providing a comprehensive set of internationally competitive computing services. Our computing resources are located in Kajaani, Finland, in one of the most energy-efficient datacenters in the world.
Capacity Computing (Supercluster)
General-purpose technical and scientific computing, from single core (sequential, or serial) jobs to parallel jobs of several hundred cores.
- Services provided by Taito supercluster for CPU-intensive workloads
- Services provided by Taito-shell application server for running non-CPU-intensive workloads
- Large collection of preinstalled applications and development tools
- Special large-memory nodes for tasks requiring a large memory footprint
Capability Computing (Supercomputer)
Large-scale parallel computation which requires exceptionally powerful supercomputing resources, from several hundreds to up to thousands of cores.
- Services provided by the Sisu supercomputer
- Collection of preinstalled applications and development tools which support massive parallelism
- Projects which require very large-scale computing resources can apply for permission to run even larger job sizes through "Grand Challenge" calls, issued periodically by CSC
Projects with extremely large-scale computing and/or storage demands can apply for resources on the most powerful supercomputers in Europe through the PRACE Research Infrastructure.
Specialized compute nodes with the latest-generation Xeon Phi coprocessors and NVidia Tesla GPGPU compute accelerators. These technologies potentially offer extremely high-performance and energy-efficiency but require porting and optimization effort.
- Services provided via the specialized Taito Accelerator Parition (Bull supercomputer)
Cloud Computing, Iaas (Pouta Cloud Services)
CSC's cloud computing platforms, cPouta and ePouta, offer high performance computing with superior flexibility and user experience via Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS).
- Virtual computing environments that can be dynamically configured by end-users
- Easy self-service set up using a Web UI or a command-line interface
- Provided by the Pouta service family
Grid computing enables applying the resources of many computers or computing clusters in a network to a single problem at the same time.
- The Finnish Grid Infrastructure (FGI) is a national distributed computing environment and the National Grid Infrastructure (NGI) for Finland.
- Other Grid Infrastructures are available for special purposes
Customized Computing Solutions
CSC is the only supercomputer center in Finland and a center of expertise in computational research. We can also implement dedicated computing systems for individual customers or customer groups.
- The service level can be tailored according to custromer needs, for example:
- Hosting of customer managed systems in CSC's datacenters
- A virtual extension of a local cluster system using our cloud facilities
- Fully managed turnkey supercomputer solutions
- It is also possible for a customer to set up a virtual extension to their compute local cluster
Please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training and Support
- A comprehensive curriculum of Scientific Computing related courses
In order to deal with the massive quantities of data involved in modern computational research, the computing systems are balanced out with rapid-access high-capacity storage systems. These enable data-intensive computing and reliable long-term archiving. For more details, please refer to the Data Environment page.
In addition to the standard UNIX command line user interface via SSH, the systems can be accessed using a NX virtual desktop environment. The Scientists' User Interface (SUI) Extranet portal provides easy-to-use Web-based interfaces to some of the functionalities such as file management as well as select applications. More detailed information can be found in the CSC Computing Environment User Guide.
To apply for access to CSC's services, please follow instructions provided in the User Account Application page.
Advantages of CSC Computing Services
- Capability: The most powerful computing environment in Northern Europe based on cutting-edge technology
- Expertise: Support from highly experienced HPC system and application specialists
- Efficiency: Systems located in an extremely energy-efficient datacenter (PDF brochure). A centralized national-level computing service is economically sensible.
- Connectivity: Tightly coupled with the national FUNET research network. Best Internet connectivity in Finland to national and international academic organizations.