Becoming a User - Services for Research
Becoming a User
Getting started with CSC's services
To use our services, you usually need to create a user account for each user, and a project.
Step 1. Create a user account
- If you have a HAKA or Virtu account, log into MyCSC with it. You can use Chipster, Notebooks, and Mylly services with your HAKA or Virtu account instead of a CSC account.
- If you don't, please read this article. Also, see which of our services you can use with a CSC account.
Step 2. Join or create a project
To access Puhti, Mahti, Allas, cPouta, ePouta, Rahti, Kaivos, and Fairdata IDA services, you need a project created on MyCSC.
- To join an existing project, ask your project manager to invite you with your CSC user account.
- To create a new project, follow these steps in MyCSC.
- As the project type, select academic if our services are available to you for free. Otherwise, contact our service desk to sign a contract with us. Afterward you can create a commercial project.
- See if you are eligible to act as a project manager. As a project manager, you can invite other users to become members of your project.
Step 3. Add service access for your project
- If you are a project manager, add services to your project in MyCSC. You can add access to Puhti, Mahti, Allas, cPouta, and Rahti yourself.
- If you are a project member, you need to approve the terms of the services that the project manager has added before you can access them. Project members cannot add services.
Step 4. Apply for more billing units / resources if needed
Check whether a service you are taking into use consumes billing units (BUs). Some services like Fairdata IDA and Kaivos only use quotas.
- Use the billing unit calculator to estimate how many BUs a project will consume. All new academic CSC projects are initially granted 10 000 BUs.
- View your billing unit consumption in MyCSC.
- When more BUs are needed, submit a billing unit application in MyCSC.
- Keep in mind that large computing resources (over 1 000 000 BUs) are allocated differently.
- Find out the default service quotas and whether you can change them.
Step 5. Keep your project active and updated
- Projects automatically close when they reach their end date. When a project closes, access to services is terminated and content in the services is deleted.
- To keep a project active, renew your CSC account password and extend your project annually when requested. Only the project manager can extend a project or close it earlier.
- Update the member list of your project when needed.
- To change the project manager, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* It is also possible to login with HAKA or Virtu account.
** Use of service requires Puhti access.
Weekly User Support Coffee sessions
Do you need help with CSC services for research, but writing the issue down feels too much? Join user support session every Wed at 14 (starting 7.9) and discuss with CSC experts from different fields.
Academic and educational use for higher education institutions and state research institutes is funded by Ministry of Education and Culture. Research focus should be academic research which results are published as thesis (pro graduate, licentiate and doctoral thesis) or articles in scientific publications.
If university is doing research with commercial enterprises or research institutes which results are not published, they should open a separate project for this type of research which will be invoiced according to commercial usage.