GIS@CSC news 4/2014
Old CSC homepage has been now replaced and the old links will not work any more. The new version of GIS pages is available at http://research.csc.fi/geosciences. Please note, that if refering to PaITuli it is best to use www.csc.fi/paituli.
Guidelines section has been updated. There are now several new guideline links related to WMS and WFS services and routing. Also new guidelines have been written:
- ArcGIS: formaatin vaihto. Changing format with ArcGIS, especially problems related to data in GML (WFS) or CSV have been covered.
- ArcGIS: tiedostojen yhdistäminen ja leikkaaminen
- Taulukkomuotoiset aineistot paikkatietona, how to import data from tables, that include coordinates, addresses or that can be joined to already existing spatial dataset.
- Adding coordinate system information to spatial data (if it is missing)
- GDAL/OGR guideline includes now also examples for using WFS and OpenStreetMap .pbf format. Also batch files section has been revised.
These topics were selected based on the user survey in June. The idea is that these would support the use of data available in PaITuli or elsewhere. Topics for new guidelines or comments about the already existing ones may be sent to email@example.com
New data has been added to PaITuli:
- Finnish Environmental Administration's IMAGE2006 satellite image mosaic has been added.
- New datasets from Statistics Finland have been added: population by 5x5km grids, road traffic accidents, educational institutions, production and industrial facilities, key figures for municipalities, population by municipalities.
- Finnish Environmental Administration's following datasets have been updated: nature protection areas, groundwater areas, limited areas for off-road and water traffic and hydrological monitoring stations.
- Finnish Environmental Administration's sparsely and denselly populated areas dataset has been added.
- Geological Survey of Finland's quaternary deposits in 1:20 000 ja bedrock in 1:200 000 have been updated. Some less used geological datasets have been removed because they are available from GTK:s Hakku service.
- Some links to data available in other locations have been added to PaITuli data download window.
Some comments about the data download page based on the user survey in June. These functions have been available for longer time, but apparantly everybody has not noticed them.
- Metadata link under data selection dropdowns is specific to selected data, so if interested in metadata of the selected data it is a good shortcut to use.
- All index maps can be downloaded. The last item in the data selection list is "Index maps, all".
- Most of the datasets can be previewed in the map window, but for technical reasons not all. Some datasets are visible only when zoomed in. The dataset preview is available when the Data/Aineisto checkbox in upper right corner is visible. It will disappear, if preview is not at all available. If Data/Aineisto checkbox is gray, then map zoom level is too low, when zooming in, the data becomes visible.
Finnish Transport Agency new download service
Finnish Transport Agency has opened beta version of its new spatial data download service. It includes data for road, rail and sea transport, the full list of available datasets can be found here. Also the newest Digiroad data is available there.
- 30.10.2014 Seminaari: Paikkatieto maankäytön suunnittelussa – esimerkkinä METSO ja Zonation, Vantaa
- 29.-30.10.2014 Finnish Remote Sensing Days 2014. Helsinki
- 4.-5.11.2014 Paikkatietomarkkinat. Helsinki.
- 21-22.1.2015 ESRI Finland käyttäjäpäivät, Helsinki
- 10.-13.6.2014 Open Source Geospatial Research and Education Symposium, Otaniemi Campus of Aalto University, Espoo.
- 14.-18.7.2014 Esri International User Conference, San Diego.
- 10.9.2014 Geodesian teemapäivä (Geodesy days), Helsinki
- 2.10.2014 devALPO2014, Espoo
- 6.10.2014 Ilmatieteen laitoksen avoimen data koulutustilaisuus, Helsinki
Training and courses
- Pitney Bowes, Helsinki
- 18.9.2013, MapInfo tehokoulutus
- Karttakeskus, Helsinki
- 20-21.10.2014. MapInfo Professional 12.0 –jatkokurssi: Paikkatietojen analysointi, Helsinki
- ESRI Finland, Espoo
- ESRI Virtual Campus Internet courses. There are a lot of free courses, but ArcGIS consortium members have also free access to all other courses of types Web course or Training seminar. The course codes are available from CSC or university representatives (HY: Tom Blom, Aalto: Ari Jolma and Paula Ahonen, UTU: Niina Käyhkö, Oulu: Jarmo Rusanen, Jyväskylä: Anssi Lensu, UEF: Timo Kumpula and Kari Pasanen).
- Terrasolid, Espoo, a lot of courses related to TerraSolit product family