LUMI - LUMI - Services for Research
LUMI is one of the most competitive supercomputers in the world, located in CSC's data center in Kajaani, Finland. LUMI starts operating in mid-2021.
The design philosophy of LUMI was to create a platform which makes it possible to use AI, especially deep learning, and traditional large-scale simulations combined with high-performance data analytics to solve a single research problem.
- Theoretical computing power of more than 200 quintillion calculations per second
- Storage of over 60 petabytes with a sizeable flash layer providing more than 1 terabytes of bandwidth
- The supercomputer achieves its high performance with a large number of nodes with accelerators (GPUs)
- In addition the system is complemented by a CPU only partition, IaaS cloud services and a large object storage solution
- Up to 20% of LUMI's resources are reserved for industry and SMEs. Finnish companies may also apply for AI computing grant. This grant is available for a significant, computing intensive AI research project which is funded by Business Finland through R&D funding. Read more about this in this article (Business Finland).