Registering an account - Services for Research
How to get started with services?
This page gives you an overall description on what you need to do to get access to CSC services, and provides you with links to more detailed instructions in CSC Docs and in other service user guides.
Many of CSC's services are free-of-charge for academic research, education and training purposes in Finnish higher education institutions and in state research institutes (subsidized by the Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland). Read more about free-of-charge use cases.
For using CSC services, you usually need a project and user accounts for every user. The process of setting them up consists of 5 steps.
Step 1. Create a user account
- Create a CSC account by logging in CSC's customer portal MyCSC with Haka or Virtu.
- If your home organization doesn't provide Haka or Virtu, please see how to contact us to register. This mostly applies to foreign collaborators of Finland-based research groups.
- You can use some of the services just with your CSC account, see table below.
Step 2. Create or join a project
- Create a CSC project to access Puhti, Mahti, Allas, cPouta, ePouta, Rahti, Kaivos and/or IDA. See if you are eligible to act as a project manager.
- If your work belongs to any of the free-of-charge use cases, select 'Academic' as the project type. If not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. After you have a contract with CSC, select 'Commercial' and enter your contract number.
- As a project manager, you can invite other users as members to your project.
- If you wish to be joined to an existing project, please ask the project manager to invite you with your CSC user account name (see above).
Step 3. Add service access for your project
- Add services to your project. Only the project manager can add services.
- You can add access to Puhti, Allas, cPouta and Rahti yourself.
- To access ePouta and Kaivos, please contact email@example.com. To access IDA, follow the online IDA application process.
- After you have added services to the project, the other project members are asked to approve the services before getting access to them.
- The service user guides instruct on how to access each service.
Step 4. Apply for more resources/billing units, if needed
Many of the aforementioned services consume billing units (see table below). All new academic CSC projects are initially granted 10 000 billing units. For Rahti you may set the default billing project. Setting the default billing project does not affect Puhti, Mahti, Allas, cPouta, ePouta, IDA and Kaivos. IDA and Kaivos do not consume billing units; they have only a quota limitation for each project.
- Use the billing unit calculator to estimate the project's billing unit consumption.
- Submit a billing unit application, when more billing units are needed.
- Monitor the billing unit consumption in the customer portal.
- Some service usage is limited by a quota (see table below). If you want to adjust this quota, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 5. Renew your password annually
- Renew your CSC account password annually when requested to keep your projects and their service access active.
- If you wish to end your project, it's access to a service or you want to change the project manager, please contact email@example.com.
- Please check you project's member list periodically and update the members if needed.
|Requires CSC account||Requires project||Uses billing units||Uses service- |
|CSC's computing, cloud and storage services|
|Puhti supercomputer||yes||yes||yes||yes||, ||[A]|
|Mahti supercomputer (coming spring 2020)||yes||yes||yes||yes||, ||[A]|
|cPouta Community Cloud||yes||yes||yes||yes||, , ||[A]|
|ePouta Virtual Private Cloud||yes||yes||yes||yes||, , ||[A]|
|Rahti Container Cloud||yes||yes||yes||yes||, , ||[A]|
|Kvasi (coming spring 2020)||yes||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|yes||yes||no||yes||, , ||[A]|
|Notebooks – user-friendly web environment for data analytics||not necessary*||no||no||no||||[A]|
|Chipster – user-friendly software for analyzing genomic high-throughput data||not necessary*||no||no||no||||[A]|
|Mylly – user-friendly platform for language data analysis||not necessary*||no||no||no||, ||[A], [B]|
|Fairdata services for storing, sharing and publishing research data|
|IDA Research Data Storage service||yes||yes||no||yes||, , ||[C]|
|Qvain/Qvain Light Metadata Tool, Metax API||yes||no||no||no||||[C]|
|Management Service for the Digital Preservation Service for Research Data||yes||no||no||no||, ||[C]|
*It is also possible to login by Haka/Virtu account.
|Resource||User quota||Project quota|
|CSC's computing, cloud and storage service|
|Storage in Home*||10 GiB|
|Storage in ProjAppl||50 GiB|
|Storage in Scratch||1 TiB|
|Files in Home*||100 000|
|Files in ProjAppl||100 000|
|Files in Scratch||1 000 000|
|Buckets per project||1 000|
|Objects per bucket||500 000|
|Object size||5 GiB|
|Virtual cores per pod**||2|
|Virtual cores per container**||2|
|Memory per pod**||8 GiB|
*This quota is fixed and cannot be adjusted.
**On Rahti, quotas are set for OpenShift projects, which are different from CSC projects.
***Available per project, from 1 GiB to hundreds of GiB.
****Available per project, from 1 GiB to tens of TiB.
Academic and educational use for higher education institutions and state research institutes is funded by Ministry of Education and Culture. Research focus should be academic research which results are published as thesis (pro graduate, licentiate and doctoral thesis) or articles in scientific publications.
If university is doing research with commercial enterprises or research institutes which results are not published, they should open a separate project for this type of research which will be invoiced according to commercial usage.