LUMI - LUMI - Services for Research
LUMI is one of the most competitive supercomputers in the world, located in CSC's data center in Kajaani, Finland. LUMI starts operating during 2022.
The design philosophy of LUMI was to create a platform which makes it possible to use AI, especially deep learning, and traditional large-scale simulations combined with high-performance data analytics to solve a single research problem.
- Theoretical computing power of more than 550 quintillion calculations per second
- Storage of over 80 petabytes with a sizeable flash layer providing more than 2 terabytes of bandwidth
- The supercomputer achieves its high performance with a large number of nodes with accelerators (GPUs)
- In addition the system is complemented by a CPU only partition, IaaS cloud services and a large object storage solution
- Up to 20% of LUMI's resources are reserved for industry and SMEs. Finnish companies may also apply for AI computing grant. This grant is available for a significant, computing intensive AI research project which is funded by Business Finland through R&D funding. Read more about AI computing grants in Business Finland article.