Plan Data Management - Services for Research
Plan Data Management
Good research data management is the basis of successful research. Research data management (RDM) concerns the managing and organisation of data during as well as after the active phase of a project. Data management comprises the following topics:
- Data types and amount of data
- Ethical and legal issues
- Data documentation and metadata
- Storing data during the project and information security
- Making data available for reuse and preserving data
- Data management responsibilities and resources
Good data management is crucial for facilitating data sharing and ensuring the sustainability and accessibility of data in the long-term and therefore their re-use for future science.
License: CC BY 4.0
Research data management should be planned and a data management plan (DMP) created before starting to collect data. A DMP is required also by many research funders and the plan should be updated as the research project evolves. For this purpose, we recommend DMPTuuli -data management planning tool tailored for Finnish research organisations. More tool options below.
Ask for help from your home organisation data support in planning your data management and use of DMPTuuli. CSC – IT Center for Science supports Finnish research by providing data management solutions including services for large volumes of data and sensitive data.
Introduction to the basics of data management
Tools for planning data management
- DMPTuuli – Data management planning tool, DMPOnline instance tailored for Finnish research organisations
- DMPOnline – Data management planning tool by DCC (useful in international collaborations)
- Data management plan generator – easy.DMP by EUDAT2020 and Sigma2
- Data Stewardship Wizard - Create Smart Data Management Plans for FAIR Open Science